PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Improvement: Buggy implementation - for the future
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-29, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Haro
Master Sergeant

Re: Buggy implementation - for the future

Originally Posted by Lanka View Post
I don't care how they do it, but 3~5 person buggies should be in the game.

Let's assume you're playing with few friends, manage to get squad of 5. How are you going to transport them to next battle? PS1 you could get couple of buggies and be on your way - in PS2 with current plan you'd need either Sunderer (that'd be half empty and likely expensive), arrange ride in Galaxy (doable, but not reliable solution. Also what when pilot says there's room for 5, and someone else jumps in leaving you with 4 slots? Just let the last guy in squad sit the battle out?) or get 5 Lightnings/ATVs (that isn't very sneaky..)

Game needs a vehicle that can transport small squad around.
I agree, if buggies make it in, I'd rather see a light reconnaissance transport than anything else. Give it advanced sensors or something more practical for larger battles, an AI/AA weapon of some effectiveness, high speed and a fair amount of endurance. Make em cheap and easy to come by.

I don't think a light combat buggy is really that effective, either in reality or in planetside. Mostly because people tend to move in great numbers and tend to concentrate around heavy vehicles, like tanks or heavy transport. So even if you're infantry hunting, the odds are good you'll wind up out of your weight class.

Modification could turn them into a light and fast AA buggy, or a heavier combat buggy that loses transport ability. But it needs to either do something very well or do a lot of things fairly well. Harassers were good against infantry, but so are tanks. On the other hand, tanks are good against harassers, not so much the other way around. Therefore, there really isn't a lot of demand for a harasser other than as a something to get from A to B, and you have ATVs for that.