PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Resources and making hex system work better
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-28, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Re: Resources and making hex system work better

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Well, it does sound like it would make the resources mean something. I sort of have an issue with the defensibility portion though. The issue there is players will have to defend surrounding locations of major bases in order to break through to the SCUs at those bases. This means some players will have to sit and guard empty locations which is boring and no one will want to do. They will just move on to the next location they can attack while another empire recaptures the one you just took. See where I'm going with this? It's another ring-around-the-rosey which would result in there being very few times everyone can gather to take the big base.
I do recognize the issue, and its not an easy fix for this. There are two ways to look at it. First, since connected territory is linked to a major base, for defense they act as an early warning system to get defenses to concentrate on defending a particular region. I think for defense its not as big of a deal as the offense who attack but must move on to the base as you are referring to. The main issue might be the amount of time it takes to retake an outpost so that ghost capping an outpost or two and shutting off teleporter rooms and shield generators doesnt happen. In otherwords, the offense would get more time to react to stop a flank attack. However, keep in mind, if you own the territory, the defense still needs to find an alternate route to get to that territory to shut it off - which means spawning at a friendly connected territory and running a sunderer to that territory and capturing it without the offense being able to defend it in time. Next, the offense only has to hold a majority of the outposts, not all of them, so if the offense can roll in and take more than the required outposts (and there will be some who will just for free cap points) losing an outpost or two wont matter, it will take a large counter attack to accomplish this.

Also, rerouting forces to counter attack has the same problems defenses have already, in that it re-routing large numbers to cut off the teleporters, etc. removes people holding the main objectives in the base, so once you lose the outposts, its hard to back cap and shut them off - but not impossible. This is where a good "spec-ops" outfit can really boost an attack or defense, by assisting the zerg but not necessarily joining it. However, it should be still challenging and take some strategy to find the best way to do so.

That said, linking outposts to bases isn't necessarily required for my idea to work. But without it, it just makes outposts unnecessary, and I wanted to make it feel like all territory is important. It would probably need to be play tested and perhaps tweaked. eg. increase number it takes to cap an outpost so that a single player cant do it, and implement some kind of regional outpost notification system to give warning when loosing or gaining outposts.