PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Adding Wildlife
Thread: Gameplay: Adding Wildlife
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-05, 12:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Panache
Private

Re: Adding Wildlife

Originally Posted by Apis View Post
I think most people would use the wildlife as something to shoot at when not in the midst of battle. This is disrespectful to wildlife in my opinion. Using buffalo as a shooting prop in PS2 is offensive to me. I hate be political about this but this sort of mentality is a reason animals have become endangered throughout history.
Now, I can argue not adding wildlife for gameplay or performance reasons, but not because we want to be sensitive to the plight of wildlife. That's just silly.

I'm reasonably sure that a real-life cow isn't going to get offended if I decide to shoot a digital video-game space cow.

And I was always under the impression that the reasons animals have become endangered throughout history is (1) encroachment of mankind into their natural habitats, sometimes compounded with over-hunting, and (2) because sometimes species reach an evolutionary dead-end and are out-competed by opposing species.

I do find it perplexing that you have no problem with shooting a game avatar of a person being controlled by a real-life sentient human being in the face with a rocket launcher, but shooting a computer-controlled image of a fantasy Space Bovine to be out of bounds.