PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-20, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
So... There was this thread about BFRs not too long ago and, now that Hamma closed it, it appears that we're destined to resurrect this one.

I haven't followed this thread when it was made, nor do I really want to go through 11 pages of arguing about whether or not they were OP in PlanetSide 1, so I'll just write down what I think about BFRs for PlanetSide 2.

Here's how you make them work in the new game, without making them OP, or making them any more an "uber solo machine" than a Lightning or MAX unit:
1) make them about two times more hit points/armor than an MBT,
2) forget the silly shields, since they're what made them imbalanced under normal circumstances,
3) give the pilot relatively weak forward-firing weaponry - the equivalent of a Lightning's weapons, or just slap those same weapons onto the mech, with the exact same upgrade options, whatever those may be (in a small 90 or 120-degree turret under the cockpit, for instance),
4) slap on a MBT-like turret with MBT-grade weaponry,
5) keep the mobility identical as in PS1, even with the optional booster/jetpack,
6) now that we know vehicles will have weak points, add some on the legs in general or, if that's possible, weakpoints on the leg joints only would be even better.

The result? We've got mechs, which are bloody awesome, diversify the battlefield and look great on screenshots/videos promoting the game.
People who like mechs will get a machine that trades off mobility for armor.
Its role would most likely be like a siege vehicle.
While these "redesigned" BFRs could take a lot more damage, their sheer bulk and low mobility will make it appropriately easier to deal that damage than, for instance, when shooting a tank at full speed.

Problem solved!
Works for me.

Said thread was mine. It wasn't about Planetside's robots, it was about Planetside 2 getting alternate versions of tanks that look like robots rather than tanks. They would trade horizontal speed for the ability to "jump and hover", otherwise they would have the same stats and functionality.

It's a good thing that Planetside 2 isn't being entirely designed by the clearly jaded and often narrow-minded Planetside 1 community.