PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - AGN: "E-Sports - Good or bad for Planetside 2?" - ReachCast Episode 52 CQ
View Single Post
Old 2013-09-18, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Re: "E-Sports - Good or bad for Planetside 2?" - ReachCast Episode 52 CQ

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
May I be the bad guy here and say that the current PS2 is more fit for ESport than it is fit for casual gaming?
Not sure if that's a statement or a question? In any case yes I could see it being argued that PS2 currently is better suited for E-sports than for casual gaming. That said it's not an issue of E-Sports vs Casual gaming for me personally, nor am I excited about what PS2 is now, I don't even actively play anymore.

Originally Posted by Root Hade View Post
Can you explain what you mean by 'detracts'? Is it just an issue of dev resources?
I think Dev resources is the reason many others consider E-Sports as negative for PS2, but no to me it's much more than that. No matter how much the Devs claim it won't impact the core game it will. It shapes both all future design decisions and shapes the culture of the game's community. These games can't be made for everyone even with lots of development resources. So when I see the Dev team constantly all hyped up about E-Sports I know they're wanting to make a game for different segment of gamers than myself. That's OK, its their game and it's not like E-Sports fans are any less deserving of having games made for them than anyone else, but I don't think that direction is true to what the Planetside franchise was about, and as I said it detracts from the game I hoped PS2 would be.