PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Vehicles on Vehicles
View Single Post
Old 2003-03-19, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
mr_luc
Sergeant Major

I posted in the station forums about vehicles on vehicles and some of the netcode/server load reasons why they won't add real support for this.

The Dev team comments match PERFECTLY with the results I have gotten in the Torque engine (which also has super-optimized netcode, although with less scalability). Basically, if it starts moving upwards and you're on top of it, you *might* stay on top of it -- but if it starts moving sideways, you'd have to drive/walk that fast in the same direction. You will not be accelerated with it, and if the top rotates, you will slide downwards regardless of centrifugal force.

However, one interesting thing to note is that if you can stay on top while it rises, it MIGHT be possible for the pilot of the vehicle to keep you in place by tilting the vehicle forward . . . I don't know if the flight model would allow it or not, but if the collision box of the vehicle could be angled downwards while it moves forwards (think of how a helicopter points its nose down and moves forwards) the same re-positioning that keeps a player on top of the vehicle might be used to repos the player forward+up. It would be a little like balancing a marble on a perfectly flat cupholder (metaphorically, not literally, since what would probably be keeping the player moving would be dozens of 'oops he's inside a vehicle, move him to be outside the vehicle at the nearest point' checks).

Although I hven't played the Beta, so I wouldn't know. Hamma, O Hamma, you need to tell us your experiences with the game!