PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return
View Single Post
Old 2013-09-10, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #204
Rolfski
Major

Re: Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return

Originally Posted by Muldoon View Post
While killcams will probably never come back, I gotta say I miss them (I know I'm in a really small minority on this issue). We had killcams when I started working on the game. My new player experience was excellent because of them. I was able to learn very quickly what I shouldn't be doing in our game, in addition to how I was getting killed. So I would argue that they are a really good learning tool.
We actually had quite some useful suggestions throughout this topic to get around the issues these hardcore vets have, like making kill-cam available for newer players only.

Problem so far is that:
  • People don't seem to care that much, at least in this forum, about improving the new player experience. Personally, I see this learn-it-the-hard-way-or-take-the-high-way mentality as one of it's biggest threats for the long-term survival of PS 2. An Eve Online-like skill wall just won't work for a relatively light weight game as PS2 imo.
  • Many hardcore players are just blind raging spastic and plain allergic for any form of kill-cam. The amount of non-constructive, downright hostile and borderline insulting comments I so far have had to be put up with in this discussion (mind you, this is supposed to be a "friendly" and "mature" community), should be a good indicator for any SOE announcement on a kill-cam feature.
So as much as I agree with you for it being a potentially excellent learning tool, I also don't expect SOE to have the balls for it to reconsider it.
Unless you get back-up from the hardcore community first, that is.

What I do hope to get out of this discussion though, is some openness and willingness for tools & mechanics that help close the ever-growing skill gap somewhat for newer and casual players.