PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-16, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?

Originally Posted by Verruna View Post
You say that like its perfectly fine for Planetside to be a Battlefield clone.... Battlefield is a awesome game series - Game mechanics in BF might not flawlessly carry over to Planetside.. a completely different game type.

My #1 concern from what i've seen so far is over BFing Planetside, i don't want to play battlefield when i load up PS2, it *might* make for much crappier gameplay. Will have to play beta to see though.

Needless to say i don't like the idea of shields in PS - A small buffer shield with armor might be good though. Planetside really needs to retain the teamwork it had with healing and repairing (in some fashion) - quick dropping health/ammo packs seem like a bad direction best kept for games like BF.
Just because I named Battlefield does not mean I called Planetside a BF clone. Every single FPS out there today utilises recharging health barring Valve titles and there's a reason for that, people like it. It let's people get on with the shooty shooty and spend less time running off to find health and armour. It let's them get on with the shooting bit of the game.

The mechanics we've seen so far allow for more shooty shooty while still promoting that teamwork and demanding mixed unit tactics. Medics and engis will be just as necessary as always because taking damage still needs repairing, it just doesn't put you in a position where you can't still counterfire at least somewhat, despite the lower health.

To imply that Battlefield 3 doesn't promote teamwork is also ludicrous, get on the teamsync servers. The only problem the game has is the lack of voip which effectively splits everyone in the game into 4 man groups, or not even groups if they're pubbers. Hilariously on the none teamsync servers where there's hardly any teamwork going on a single 4 man squad can singlehandedly win games because, as we like to put it, teamwork is OP.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com