PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Sense of Accomplishment
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-01, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Maverick
Private

Sense of Accomplishment

May I propose a challenge... One I’m sure the Devs themselves found challenging as there are few examples in this genre to learn from.

There are many people with different kinds of motivations. If you were a Dev, how might you design PS2 to appeal to the masses sense of accomplishment?

Feel free to go to what ever detail you feel necessary.

My motive behind the question: I loved Planetside, but after spending countless hours playing, I slowly lost my ability to gain satisfaction from my victories in a never ending territory battle. I'm not exactly sure what might appeal to me and earn my subscription, but I am optimistic for PS2.

I'll start:

I think in my case a tangible reward that says "Look at me!<muscle Flex>" would be the best drive for me. I think WoW showed how affective this was. Not so easy in a FPS I realize since any feat of accomplishment you set will have a varying difficulty as it relies on the players to enforce so some conditions may have to be set.

THE FEAT OF ACCOMPLISHMENT:
--Each faction could have one or two bases that act as Capital battle fortresses. Capturing the battle fortress awards achievements and tangible rewards.
1. Fortress has not one command console but three.
1.1 All three command consoles must be captured.
1.2 Battle fortress command consoles must be held for two hours by opposing faction to claim its capture.
1.2.1 Home faction only need hold a captured battle fortress command console for thirty mins before it is returned to their control.

2. A captured Capital battle fortress is destroyed and another is not re-spawned for one 72 hour period in a new area adjacent to the sanctuary.

3. Fortress sports automated defense systems that take a moment to lock on but are devastating when target is acquired. This is to prevent small forces sneaking in while the fortress is undermanned. (controversial I agree, I’m open to better ideas)
3.1 Three separate security modules must be hacked to disable the automated systems.
3.1.1 Each Security module is protected by two light anti personnel turrets.
3.1.2 Each Security has an impassable shield that must be deactivated by deactivating small external power generators that are separate from the ones that power the rest of the fortress.

4. Those eligible to receive rewards upon successful capture of a Capital battle fortress:
4.1 Only those who have been online for the two hours prior to the capture of the fortress are awarded. Good standard raid time for many MMO's. Also discourages other factions hopping to the winning side at last minute to get achievement. Also discourages but not guarantee that players wont switch to a single faction and juggernaut empire their way to victory.
4.2 Realm Population difference between defending and capturing faction cannot exceed amount X. (Discourages Juggernaut Empire and low population back capping)
4.3 Population difference of fortress territory and surrounding territories between defending and capturing faction cannot exceed amount X. (Discourages Juggernaut Empire and low population back capping)

--THE REWARD:
1. Unlock a "You Win, The end" amazing video(S).
2. Awards the player achievements
3. Awards the company achievements
4. Awards Achievement points for purchase of
4.1 Achievement point buy's allow for purchase of new armor's, weapons, accessories for cosmetic flare and prestige (provides the "Look at me!<muscle Flex>) feel.
5. Unlock Ancient Tech (could be point buy based as well)

My thoughts on the idea: I tried to make it difficult for sake of making the achievement prestigious and yet the most exploit proof as I could think of. Tweaking needed? No doubt. Good idea? Ill let the masses decide.

And yes i'm a forum noob, please keep the hate to a minimum. looking for constructive thoughts.

Anyway, your turn...