PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Totalbiscuit and Matt Higby Live Stream Discussion!
View Single Post
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-01, 05:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #221
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Totalbiscuit and Matt Higby Live Stream TODAY!

Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Side grades is in reference to micro transaction purchases. Upgrading via certs is different than purchasing upgrades via cash.
The cert system looked a lot like EVE Online to me with flat power increases. More damage. More control. More speed. Shorter acquisition timers.

All of these things are pure advantage to a veteran and punish new players who don't have them by comparison.

I don't like that much at all.

I also think upgrades should cost resources. Management of resources is supposed to be an important part of PS2. So far the only resource management I see is...

- grenades / consumables
- vehicle purchases

I also have a hard time seeing how people will be motivated to go after certain territories due to resources when they just give people resources simply for fighting anywhere. If fighting -> resources then specific territories becomes completely irrelevant. If I don't have to make meaningful loadout choices then resources also become irrelevant.

Also, by the look of the resources and the little bar below them, I estimate that the current resource caps are 5000 for each of the 3 (non-Auraxium) resources

Costs:
- Flash 10 (resource 1)
- Sunderer 150 (resource 1)
- Lightning 80 (resource 2)
- MBT 100 (resource 3)

So if there is resource deprivation it is targeted at specific vehicle sets, like transportation (sunderer/flash), the lightning (AA), or the MBTs. Usure where aircraft come in. I expect Galaxy is probably the same resource as Flash/Sunderer, with the Lib/ESA each matching to either the lightning or the MBTs, hard to say which.

Grenades were 10 resources.

The resource cap of 5000 seems high given those numbers. I can pull 50 MBTs before I'm drained, assuming no incoming resources. It seems at that rate I would care little about fighting for resources on the continent if I had a healthy surplus. Losing a territory that provides my tank resource is unlikely to motivate me if I can pull 50 tanks without any income whatsoever. That's many hours of entertainment before I actually start caring. And even then if even a small amount of resources is trickling in I might never care.

Based on all this I'm not much feeling that the resource system is set up for success. The caps seem high, and the fact that we get lots of resources by fighting lowers the value of territory. And even then I can fight for a good long time without risk of running low on any resources, especially if fighting nets you a significant sum. Making matters worse is that if I run out of my Prowler resource I can then go pull over 60 lightnings while I let some passive income restore my prowler resources. I might not ever care about any specific territory if I juggled between different resources.

If you want resources to matter that cap needs to be probably 1/5 of what it is now, or at least half. I'm not sure how to balance out the fighting resources vs the territory resources. The territory resources need to matter and be a significant factor or nobody will ever fight for them. Perhaps if you only got the resource provided by the territory when fighting over it would be a step in the right direction. However that would limit the things that could be done in that territory to mostly the vehicles/consumables that use that territory's resource.