PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Let's discuss: The tactical value of the Harasser
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-26, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rolfski
Major

Let's discuss: The tactical value of the Harasser

Having played a bit with it on the test server, I was wondering what the unique role of this vehicle could be on the battlefield.

Harassing:
  • Anti Infantry: Flanking to quickly deliver a couple of AI Maxes behind enemy infantry lines, while doing some road killing sounds good in theory but cloaked Flashes seem to be more effective for that. Two fully manned Harassers or six cloaked Flashes with Furies, I'm not sure what plays out better but I probably would go for the Flashes.
  • Anti Vehicle: The ability to mount AV guns like the Vulcan as well as AV Maxes/Heavies could be interesting but only if you can easily outmaneuver armor and use that fire power effectively. Not sure how this one will play out on the battlefield.
  • Anti Air: The combo of a Walker AA gun and Burster Max combined with the speed/agility of the Harasser sounds interesting on paper but I'm not sure how much more effective it is against three Skyguards you can pull as well.

Base attack:
  • Quickly driving through the shields into the vehicle bay of an Amp station with a diffuser Harasser to take out the enemy defensive Sundy, hack the terminals and spawn an AMS Sundy of your own looks like a viable tactic. However, a diffuser Sundy with two manned AI guns can deliver more troops and fire power to do the same at a slight cost of speed. I would probably use a Sundy for this, even with small teams.
  • As for harassing around and in bases, Flashes might be a better alternative. Cloaking/agility vs Firepower/bulletproof, we'll have to see what's more effective. For Amp stations a diffuser Harasser seems the way to go.

Transport:
  • For long distance travel in open space, the speed of this vehicle combined with an AA configuration seems a solid choice as long as you can spawn it at every outpost. Otherwise you're probably better of recalling to Warp gate and go in a Galaxy.
  • For shorter distances and more covered terrain cloak Flashes or Sundies seems the more survivable choice to me.

Assuming this vehicle can spawn at every outpost it has to compete mostly with the Flash and the Sundy as a vehicle. Only if it can easily out-maneuver tanks and can bring its mobile firepower to good use, the Harasser seems a good choice. Otherwise I have hard time figuring out a role for this vehicle others can't do better. Especially the fact that it needs a dedicated driver and has a small transport capability might hamper its utility.

Let's discuss, how do you see the tactical value of this vehicle?