PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-31, 05:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #640
Mechzz
Major

Re: Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
It has, but there's some balance concerns with it. Also the Magrider's cannon is a spinal mount, it can only fire in the direction the tank is facing. Making it work as a gunner weapon would probably require some fundamental changes to the tank.
The implications of the magrider's fixed-forward main gun combined with driver gunning has only slowly dawned on me. It reminds me of the early days of World War 2 when the French had the world's strongest mounted tank gun (in the Char-B if memory serves), BUT it was fixed forward in the hull. When the Germans crashed the party in their much weaker-gunned but more mobile Panzers they just ran rings round the Char B and annihilated them.

Look at this picture and weep, if it is the new magrider:
http://i.imgur.com/Z8BnH.jpg

Apologies to Erendil for not realising earlier the significance of his signature picture!

If this is what driver gunner means for the Vanu, there are going to be a LOT of unhappy magrider drivers out there.

I've already mentioned that I am happy about driver/gunning based on playing that way in BFBC2, but there SHOULD be an option for the driver to relinquish the main gun if so desired AND the magrider must be modded so that its main gun can rotate, otherwise it will be next to useless - it was hard enough to get kills with the old PPA with its jittery aim on uneven surfaces, ffs.