View Single Post
Old 2012-05-23, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Re: Naval battle system

Originally Posted by MightyMan View Post
@Gonefshn:
Being pessimistic is not nice, as a wise man ones said: "Don't worry, be happy", also if the idea has flaws it doesn't mean you need to burn it to the ground "Not needed" >: (.
Here's what:
1. Err, what is the difference from land here exactly? The same thing you described will most likely happen on land too, so yeh.
"Why not just use an aircraft? they can go over water and land. Say you want to cross an island and do a beach landing. You could do the same thing in a galaxy. Not needed"
REWRITTEN:
Ground vehicles (there's also some kind of a bus shown in alpha footage)? Why not just use aircraft? They can go over land and water. Say you want to cross a mountain and do a base landing. You could do the same thing in a galaxy. NOT NEEDED.
You can do everything in a galaxy, that does not mean you need to remove everything else.
Also, just give the option of installing anti air weapons on your ships and your done, a nicely populated sea could make using aircraft just as dangerous as on land so aircraft would be just as "overpowered" as it is on land.
2. It will not be artillery at all, logic says that with standard range, infantry and ground vehicles could shoot at boats, just like boats can attack the shore, so you are just panicking.
3.Yes infantry. First of all, there's no reason to limit infantry to the ground, swimming is a good possibility, although mobility should be more limited.
Also, you will not see boats at the open sea attacking each other, just like you would not see tanks fighting in an open field, because the fighting would usually be based around bases, where infantry, turrets and tanks (amphibious version) could take part in the battle. Hell if you want you can make jeasus technology available, letting infantry freely float on the water if necessary.
Also, aircraft.
Well that said, if there's anything you said which I have not properly understood, feel free to correct me.
@Sobekeus:
>: (
This is a discussion board so I was having a discussion you should appreciate my feedback, it wasn't a jab at you lol.

Go back and read my post I said it's a cool idea at the end.
And all I did was say, "here are a few problems, here is how i think it could work" thats called constructive criticism.

Why are you mad? lol

Also, swimming infantry doesn't sound fun to me, how do you fight and swim?
And the biggest difference between land and naval is terrain and cover.
An aircraft fills the strategic role of a naval unit because it can travel over water and in the water its nothing but open air.
On land there is cover, terrain, brush, and most importantly things like trees and buildings that shield you from the view of aircraft. In the air everything is in plain view, same as on the water. On land you have geography, foliage, all sorts of things that change things so much making it different than aircraft.

And you will definitely see tanks fighting in an open field attacking eachother higby has said many times they have areas that are meant for large tank only battles.

I have two ideas though to make naval feel unique.

1. Make ships have outdoor decks that infantry can stand on. Basically make boats like large vessels infantry can walk around on and fire their main weapons. Also adding weapons that allow you to board other ships would be cool. Basically don't make boats tanks on the water. make them essentially small floating facilities driven by people.

2. Take into account waves and make driving a boat more interesting by adding wave mechanics throwing you off course.

You just need to make naval combat unique enough to make it worth adding.

Last edited by Gonefshn; 2012-05-23 at 05:48 PM.