PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Huge Outfits and PlanetSide 2
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-20, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Re: Huge Outfits and PlanetSide 2

I agree, Hamma. Back in Sept. I made a forum post and blog entry called, in part, Steamrollside, because of this issue. It frustrated the hell out of me in beta to watch both the NC and the VS push the TR to the warpgate every day, rather than fight each other. There was nothing the TR could against massive zergs on the east and west side of the map; we were simply rolled over at every base, even when we crammed 30 or people into a meaningless outpost - 100+ people, with tanks, libs, and esfs take NS Refinery.... Sadly, this concept carried through to live as the dominant way to play the game.

Strangely the most fun I had in PS2 was in beta when the gal was a spawn point and we could take any base at any time. I always thought the "front line" talk was a bunch of crap. Why have the other bases if you're going to fight at the middle swath of them the vast majority of the time? They should have just made it so all bases/outposts/locations need 3 people to flip the point and each base gave a better bonus than the lolresources that no one cares about.

As for the zergfits themselves, I had to make my own guild just eliminate the spam invites on those rare occasions that I bother playing. They are almost as bad as the medic rez request pop ups - no idiot, I don't want you to rez me in the middle of a fire fight so I can be killed instantly again, fuck off already... They need an auto-block for that crap... Anyhow, I ran with *a large guild* in beta, which was amusing for *the leader's* antics, but the game play was little more than a spastic over use of /suicide travel to answer all threats with superior numbers and "the right tool for the job" every single time. Sure it's effective at "winning", but it's boring and kind of lame, because you know you're going to win. Also, there were very few times when just one or two squads were told to hold a place, likely because it was damned near impossible to actually do so, save for biolabs, the crown, and vanu archives. In the end, I decided that the chaotic jumping around from place to place game play, combined with the zero charisma *leader* wannabe squad leaders were not my idea of fun. I'd rather play with a handful of people doing something that feels more linear and meaningful.

Planetside 2 isn't actually fun to play. The zergwaves are a large part of that.

Stew360 road my ass once in beta, because I wouldn't get out of a turret to let him and his two buddies shoot me. However, by staying in that turret I not only destroyed their Gal (or lib?) but 4 other air vehicles and chased away a few others as well. We held Mao. I used "common sense" when it came to the enemies near me, but more importantly, I sat in that turret and did my job to help defend the base as part of the overall TR team. It was not a huge force that pushed on us and the battle could have gone either way... And it was something fun that I remember. That simply does not seem to happen on Matherson, where bases are either empty or being rolled over by 100+ attackers and perhaps 5 to 10 defenders.

The way people are playing PS2 sure isn't helping to make up for the shortcomings of the game itself.

Removed outfit specific references.

Last edited by Tatwi; 2012-12-20 at 11:33 AM. Reason: whoah... smartphone + posting + kids jumping on me = typos galore!