PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SOE Authenticator Now Available
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-13, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Protozoan
Banned

Re: SOE Authenticator Now Available

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Well it never hurts to have more security on any account that has payment and personal information in it, not really about keeping your PlanetSide character secure.
Ya considering the authenticator isn't 100% guaranteed to keep your account safe. If your account gets hacked all you have to do is let them know and they get it back to u, sometimes with more money/items then you had b4 lol, fail. Authenticator are a total waste of time you really want to go running around tying to find your key chain every time you want to log in, and don't lose it lol cause you'll have a field day trying to get into your account. Even if you keep it next to you all the time, its still a pain in the butt pressing that button every time you log in. Different mmos, I usally loggin in 10+ times a day, not to mention disconnects and the game crashing, etc. If you ever used an authenticator you'll know how much of a pain those extra steps are to pick up the authenticator, press the button, put it down, enter the key, it a pain trust me, it might sound lazy but you'll find out. Another note, if the battery ever dies, you have to buy a new one, battery usually lasts awhile but that's the biggest BS I've ever heard. Considering we usually play mmos for 5+ years, and once the battery dies its a headache to get new one and set it up, trying to get into your account and disactivating the current authenticator and activating the new one. You usually can't play for like a week cause they are mailing it and time to set it up, etc. Like I said total headache.

I don't know if this is how Planetside 2 will be, but past mmos this is how its been for me using an authenticator.

My dad works for a nuclear plant and the authenticator he uses to access is pc at work, works alittle different then the ones I've seen. He enters his login and password and then the authenticator key after the password but the 6 digit key is always present, he doesn't have to press any buttons it auto generated like every 5mins or something, not sure exactly but I thought that would be better. Cause then all you have to do is look down at the authenticator and key it in. I could see this draining the battery though.

Anyway authenticator works if you buy one but, I'd rather just save the money. They usually like $10.

Last edited by Protozoan; 2011-08-13 at 10:57 PM.