PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SOE Authenticator Now Available
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-14, 05:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: SOE Authenticator Now Available

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Well it never hurts to have more security on any account that has payment and personal information in it, not really about keeping your PlanetSide character secure.
That is only the case if you need the authenticator to access everything or just the game. I'm hoping it's everything.

Originally Posted by Protozoan View Post
Authenticator are a total waste of time
Wrong. Two factor authentication (password + authenticator) is far superior to single factor authentication (password only)

you really want to go running around tying to find your key chain every time you want to log in, and don't lose it lol cause you'll have a field day trying to get into your account. Even if you keep it next to you all the time, its still a pain in the butt pressing that button every time you log in.
Security is always a trade-off between convenience and safety. I mean you could argue that having to type in a username and password every time you want to play is annoying too. I use an authenticator for a variety of things now and while it's slightly inconvenient I'd rather have the higher security. The Internet is not a safe place for information after all.

Another note, if the battery ever dies, you have to buy a new one, battery usually lasts awhile but that's the biggest BS I've ever heard.
I'd imagine the reason for this is to make the authenticators cheaper to produce, if so fair enough. If you have a smart phone the app is probably a better option.

He enters his login and password and then the authenticator key after the password but the 6 digit key is always present...
I presume this is an RSA keyfob (or equivalent). I have one for work too and it actually changes every minute. The problem with this sort of authenticator is that timing is critical: If you didn't log in for a while the authentication server and the keyfob would be too far out of sync and then you'd have to phone support to resync it. An acceptable cost for a nuclear power plant (and easier to keep secure) but perhaps not for an online game.