PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Argentina - nationalisation of YPF - link with Falklands?
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-04, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Argentina - nationalisation of YPF - link with Falklands?

Well, the nationalisation of YPF is now official as the Argentinian parliament approved it.

Also, a riot about the new Argentinian promotional advert for the Olympics :

It ends with the words "To compete on English soil, we train on Argentine soil".

Not sure about you lot, but they do seem to want tensions to rise further, I wonder how many of these provocations we'll get in the future.

It's funny. Chavez once claimed the Antilles because they'd supposedly be in Venezuelan territorial waters, but as you can see... they are not:

Sea borders are typically either up to 200km off shore, or halfway in between two nations. Otherwise France and England could claim each other (again) as well, so that's a bit silly claim. >.>

Seems to me Chavez is mostly upset with US troops being stationed at the airfield there for the 'War on Drugs'. Apparently annexation has crossed their minds a couple times, but they haven't because it would be too expensive. Why? Well, the islands have no economy of their own really aside from tourism and are pretty much reliant on the Netherlands to pump money into it. basically, any attempt at annexation would mean nothing but cost, plus could result in a war with Columbia and the USA, as the USA would not want to relinquish that strategic position, plus a NATO partner would be attacked.

On top of that, like with the Falklands, these islands have no cultural connections to the nearby mainland, unlike say... Gibraltar. Quite curious if that'll ever become Spanish territory again, as Hong Kong was 'returned' to China (theoretically they could also have returned it to Taiwan really :P).

Last edited by Figment; 2012-05-04 at 10:05 AM.