PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - I have no words.
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-27, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Re: I have no words.

All the more reason, Figment, that going forward we should be more understanding and measured in our approach. That we should leave for future generations the message we want to send.

Is it unfortunate that ancient catholics replaced an old statue of some old roman emperor with one of their fakey god heroes? Sure, that's unfortunate. But there's an interesting lesson there. It serves a purpose, because you can tell that story and show people just how negative an impact religious thinking has on our culture. We can repupose the statue to mean something new, given our enlightened view on things.

If we tear THAT statue down and replace it with a different one, in what way are we different? Religion used to have the power, and abused that power by ruining history. Now that their power IS history, should we use the new dominance of secular power to do much the same, only from OUR perspective rather than THEIRS? I feel it's much more valuable if it serves as an enduring lesson of how things used to be... isn't that what monuments are for?