PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - What will being "a good FPS player" mean in PlanetSide 2?
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-30, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: What will being "a good FPS player" mean in PlanetSide 2?

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
You've got the wrong idea of how warping works.
Actually assuming Planetside is server-side then his idea of adding momentum is actually the real solution. Don't get me wrong, what you quoted is completely true, but adding momentum to characters essentially gets rid of the warp by hiding it with an acceleration delay. (I've used it before in small networked games I've written).

Extrapolation actually works well, and I'd recommend it with a purely server-side gameplay model. The alternative to extrapolation is a delayed simulation model a la Source networking which some people prefer. I personally don't like it that much. Eliminating instant changes in motion is the key to solving warping.

Also I've never inspected the packets of Planetside (mostly because I'm not sure what measures they've enabled for detecting such actions). From playing the game for a long time and just looking at things I have a sneaking suspicion the bigger problem with warping is caused by client-side movement. As in the player sends their position to the server (a big no no in authoritative networking). I remember a long time ago the core 2 duo problem where players were moving insanely quick across the map and this indicated that a long time ago everything was pretty much client-side. Actually it still is because there are numerous hacks used for changing the client's position and the server doesn't really verify any of these changes. This is all being changed in the new game so it's a pointless argument to compare PS1 to PS2's networking.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-07-30 at 11:48 PM.