PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-17, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #128
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Re: Cockpit View - should it be forced? More options.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
True, FoV is a bad example. 3 monitors is not. You lose nothing. Or a head tracking solution like TrackIR. If people think disabling the cockpit gives an advantage, then people better be prepared to be very much against both of those things.
I see what you're saying. However, 3 monitors or TrackIR require extra hardware to be purchased on behalf of the player. And not many people have the money and/or the knowledge to obtain and configure such a setup. So it would be quite rare to begin with. However, it would do wonders to show off the Forgelight engine so as I said it'd be stupid for SOE not to include it barring development time or subsequent bugs appearing in the game from its inclusion.

OTOH, a cockpit on/off toggle costs nothing, would be available to 100% of the playerbase, is simple to turn on/off, and if there's no downside hardly anybody will use it outside of the few who are willing to be at a disadvantage in exchange for the immersion factor. Not the same thing. A much better example would be the weather and flora settings in PS1, which most people had turned off, because enabling it gave you no gameplay benefits and put you at a visibility disadvantage.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
The balance measure is you can't mouselook around the cockpit if you don't have an actual cockpit.
Technically Freelook doesn't actually require a cockpit - just a 1stPV. But you're right that could be another possible balance measure, and a good one too.

Okay you convinced me. I'd be fine with a cockpit toggle if turning it off either 1) prevented you from using freelook (assuming that's available in PS2 to begin with), or 2) decreased your FOV setting a bit so you're a little zoomed in but you lose a bit of your side-to-side view.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-17 at 01:25 AM.