PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Higby/Devs: PS2 Linux + Steam Q's
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-18, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Dagron
Captain

Re: Higby/Devs: PS2 Linux + Steam Q's

Don't get me wrong, i'm not defending linux specifically, i just wish i wasn't forced to use windows to play games today instead of two years from their release (i'm looking at you Mac).

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I went through the Anti-Microsoft phase too. You'll get over it when you realize that app compatibility and simplicity is a good thing, and when you start making real software products you'll really appreciate the large target ecosystem.

In time I think you'll find that the Evil Empire isn't so evil. At least not compared to a few other empires...
It's a good thing for software developers, but not for the consumers. It's like you said:

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
With Microsoft the OEMs compete with each other to drive PC prices down. That's a good thing for us.
It would be a better thing for us if they also had some real competition of their own, so their OS and it's basic stuff wouldn't be so damn overpriced.
Of course that would require this competition not to mess up the app compatibility and simplicity issue, and i know that's not going to happen... but we can dream, can't we?

In the end i agree with you: a company doesn't have any incentive to meddle in that affair, specially if it's going to be extra work for no benefit. But if we (the consumers) don't whine about it, who will? Hey, maybe some day in a million years it might get us somewhere.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-18 at 08:17 AM.