PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-16, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
FIREk
Captain

Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2

So it's official now, and we can be 100% sure it won't change (if only because vehicle models have a set number of hatches). Tank drivers will control the main turret, leaving only the secondary gun in the hands of their gunner. This is bound to be a controversial topic...

Here are my thoughts:

1) There is a logic behind the main idea Higby mentioned - if you invested time in training tank certs, you deserve to not only be a chauffeur, but to take advantage of most of your tank. That's fair.

2) Because they will require less manpower, tanks are likely to be a lot "softer" now, especially if a skilled tank-buster knows how to get at the weaker sections of the armor. I always thought tanks could soak up way too much damage in PS1, so I would be more than happy with this.

3) This is how it has worked in all Battlefield games, all the way since BF1942, and there's no problem with that system there.

4) On the other hand, there are only 1-3 tanks per side on a Battlefield map. PS2 will be on a completely different scale, with 50 people being able to each pull a tank for themselves almost simultaneously, and roll those 50 tanks somewhere. So the way Battlefield mechanics are balanced towards overall gameplay doesn't have to translate well to PS2's scale.

5) On yet another hand , this can be resolved with appropriate vehicle spawn timer restrictions. If you can only roll, say, one tank every 10 minutes (maybe more), you will have to be careful not to get blown up. Therefore tanks are less likely to just swarm the battlefield, farming a few kills before being mowed down. Killing a tank will also be much more satisfying.

6) Being able to control the main gun saves zerg tank drivers the trouble of picking up an incompetent gunner, thus losing all possible fun in that particular tank.

7) It streamlines the process of tank warfare, removing any communication issues. Unlike real tanks, with a commander, driver and gunner (plus), we can't communicate as efficiently in a game (especially with randoms) and would likely have no convenient target marking tools.

8) That being said, it might make a lot more sense to give tank drivers control of the secondary gun - either arbitrarily, or optionally, but only if there's a second person in the tank. We don't fast seat-switching solo tanks with AA guns, do we?
There are quite a few good reasons for this. Tank drivers get to use the upgraded secondary gun they have to "pay" for. The secondary turret will rotate faster, making it easier to look around an navigate. Plus, since the tank would now require two people to function properly, it could be given tougher armor without compromising balance.
This would, however, necessitate turning the Magrider into a classic two-turret tank.

All in all, I think that, once the details get hammered out during beta we will be happy with this new system. What do you guys think?

Also, on the subject of vehicles being mostly functional with only one player controlling them:
1) Take note that Higby pretty much confirmed that the Linerator's pilot will be the bombardier as well. It will be a 2-seater, and the passenger will likely only operate the rear turret, which isn't required for the bomber to do its job.
If implemented correctly, this will be fair, since the Reaver and MBTs will also require only one person to use their vehicles' basic functionality.

2) I'm also under the impression that Higby semi-confirmed an optional co-pilot/gunner for the Reaver. In the interview with NapalmEnima he might have let slip that the two-seater from the early screenshot is a two-seater variant. Of course the design might have changed by now, just like the Mossie is said to have changed.

3) Buggies, however, can't work with only one person aboard, since they're too fast and fragile to both zoom past trees and aim sideways/backwards. Since their design would necessitate two people, they should be made into "glass cannons" with powerful weapons, but relying on speed alone to survive. They can't be the "poor man's tanks" from PS1 anymore.

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-09-26 at 03:38 AM.