PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Compromise for the driver=gunner issue.
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-27, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Compromise for the driver=gunner issue.

Originally Posted by Furret View Post
They want the people who put the certs into the vehicle to be able to use the vehicle. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but that's where the Armored Assault I and II system worked. If you wanted to solo-whore, which is the type of group PS2 is starting to shift to, you could spend 2 certs and get your lightning. But if you really wanted to be effective, get a friend and pay an extra cert for that vanny.
I know that's what they said, but that's a bullshit excuse. Several other vehicles and classes are designed around SUPPORT. Medics, Engineers, to name two infantry support. Transport drivers and to a lesser extent Bomber pilots.

All of those have one thing in common - weapon systems / tools which benefit other people and not themselves. Even if you give a driver the main gun he's still putting cert points into a gun he can't use - the secondary gun. I expect that one will have a lot more upgrades than the main gun anyway. If you get people certing it just because they can also gun it then that added set of players is just going to upgrade the stuff that only benefits them.

It is not necessary to turn a vehicle into a one-man killwhore machine just to get people to drive it/cert it. Plenty of people drove galaxies when needed. Plenty of people drove tanks and piloted libs. The tradeoff of the far more firepower and a stronger vehicle emphasized teamwork and coordination with gunners/bombardiers.

As a longtime tank driver what rewards me is not the ability to shoot. It is knowing that my tank crew was kicking ass and impacting the battle. Of course I'm going to cert things that make my entire tank better. You don't need to motivate me or distract me with a main gun.

I'd much rather understand the real design vision and gameplay goals of this change. Giving the certed person the ability to shoot from the vehicle is a poor excuse and I know that isn't the main reason they made the change. They wanted to run design impacts by the playerbase so they have to be straight with us with what they intend with things.

I hope that whole vet-things-with-the-players doesn't start after release. Like to see more idea sharing and insight into what it is they are trying to achieve. I'd certainly go a long way toward us providing more meaningful feedback and ideas that help them achieve it rather than blindly fondling around trying to figure it out and getting visceral reactions to significant changes that seemingly make little sense.