PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Splash Damage still borked?
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-05, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Haro
Master Sergeant

Re: Splash Damage still borked?

To address the OP, I think flak was definitely better off in this build than previous. I thought the detonations looked pretty good, you could definitely tell they were hitting something, so they fixed proximity detection. I think the radii are largely fine, but damage could be another matter. It looked like it was most effective against fighters, but even then it would take like 5-10 seconds to bring one down. I think that's tolerable for that level of craft, but it may not be ideal against larger craft. I think we need to see other forms of AA in action, definitively, before we really judge this. I'd be fine with Maxes making up light AA if other forms pick up the pace. I think liberators should take no longer than 20-30 seconds of continuous fire from one max. Galaxies should probably take more to really encourage flying with them. Maybe a minute. Really would be nice to have hard numbers though...

As for rockets... again, it's complicated. Really wishing I could refer back to the stream, but I'd rather see rockets start weak and get tuned up rather than the other way around.

From what I could see, splash damage looks fine. Tank rounds seemed to really be effective, and flak seemed to be exploding reasonably enough. I think it's more a matter of number tuning rather than mechanics fixing, but again, working with a slim body of evidence here.

Another thing, the actual physical explosion is a poor way to judge the actual effects. It's just an animation or sprite put in place, and it doesn't actually represent the mechanics at work. Maybe it represents an artists interpretation that developers try to follow, but ultimately it comes down to how the mechanics are coded.

Last edited by Haro; 2012-06-05 at 10:55 PM.