PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside 2 on Playstation 4 in 2013?
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-16, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Re: Planetside 2 on Playstation 4 in 2013?

Originally Posted by sneeek View Post
No developer has ever succeeded in making a successful FPS in which PC gamers (mouse+keyboard) can play along with console gamers (gamepad). Microsoft's own internal project, to find out if it can work, concluded that even average mouse+keyboard players will destroy good gamepad players every time.

I've always hoped that consoles might one day allow alternative input devices like mouse+keyboard, but realistically it's never going to happen due to market inertia.

So if PS2 ever came to consoles (which seems unlikely, tbh), I'm sure that PC players and console players would be for ever segregated by Controller Apartheid, i.e. play on different servers and maybe use a different client.
Incorrect sir, Quake3 on the Sega Dreamcast, allowed console and PC players to play the same servers. Yeah most of the time if you were using a controller, and had 56k, you were going to get owned by somebody on a PC, but not always. You also had the option of M/KB, and it was one of the first, if not the first, console to connect to broadband. It was an amazing community as well. We set up our own ladder, and had events all the time.