PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - THE solution for Darklight.
View Single Post
Old 2004-08-19, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Madcow
My best run was 74 kills before I got taken out, using ACEs (spitfires only, no boomers), a knife and looted pistols and never once returning to base for healing or inventory. All outside the same tower, all within 45 minutes. The run was actually ended by Jaged. This was before a lot of the bugginess we currently experience. Tell me again about a cloaker's role. A cloaker's role is whatever niche they find, and that doesn't necessarily = constant support or hacking. I do those things, they are a part of what I do. I don't feel secondary or ineffective except when I see the issues in the game that need addressing which are ignored by Devs. Talking about the 'role' of a cloaker comes across as incredibly ill informed. Maybe you should talk to Boomer, he's in your outfit.
The fact that cloakers can potentially be effective in combat really doesn't change much. I've always been of the opinion that it's stupid to have a bunch of stuff all designed to do the same job. It's why Harassers and so on are all totally useless except when you can't get a tank, or something heavier. I'd be very surprised if a cloaker could outkill a grunt, assuming they were both equally as skilled, and that's probably why there aren't many cloakers, at least not compared to grunts, MAXs, or otherwise. Them getting a role is quite honestly apart from their current effectiveness right now; the reason I think they should be given more that requires their unique skills is because they're, currently, just the masters of either circle strafing with an AMP, placing a boomer and running away while pulling the trigger, running around dropping spitfires, or sprinting down to a spawn, placing a boomer, and pulling the trigger. They're cheap-shot grunts that are hard to see without an implant. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I thought a stealthing suit might be useful for, you know, stealthing missions and so on. Not boomer/spitfire runs and AMP whoring exclusively.

Either way, with the loss of being able to surge with a weapon out I don't see anymore boomer/spitfire runs, not like they were before anyway. But I guess I'll take your word for it and consider this thread unfounded based on your findings. Cloaker offensive power and DL appear to be just fine then. I'm not sure what cloakers are really complaining about then.

Last edited by Warborn; 2004-08-19 at 10:47 PM.