PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SOE Services Offline
View Single Post
Old 2011-05-03, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Re: SOE Services Offline

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
Just wish these hackers would take on a real cause.
They do - they want to steal our money.

Sony's handling of this entire crisis is somehow familiar to Bush's handling of the Katrina disaster in 2005. A lot of crap could've been avoided if they'd had a quick enough reaction.

Somehow I get this feeling that 100+ million users' (77 PSN + 25 SOE) details don't get accessed in a matter of seconds or even minutes, this entire process must've taken place over at least several hours (despite everything hollywood may have us believe). If you have at least one terminal surpervisor on duty to oversee the situation as they should, I think they might have spotted something peculiar as far as server behaviour goes. There should've been some alarm bells that went off when this happened, and built-in redundancies and securities that could automatically stepped in.

I'm not worried too much about how this will impact PS:Next. SOE's developers are great artists and visonaries, and the original PS game proves that. Remember the game didn't decline because is was badly developed (it could've been better, but I've see much much worse), but because of what happened in the game post-release. I.E. it's these server maintenance folk that didn't pull the plug quickly enough that are partly responsible for the shape PS is in today. (I much rather think it's better to trip a circuit breaker and crash a server, restore its condition from a backup over the next two days than to leave it running, and then have to shut it down for two weeks and counting to deal with the collateral damage.)

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2011-05-03 at 02:03 PM.