PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Can Endgame/Metagame help drive PS2 to continued success?
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-08, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Can Endgame/Metagame help drive PS2 to continued success?

While I agree with Kumo that PS with simply better graphics would still do poorly, I do not think that putting an economy into the game would make it better in any way, and would likely harm it.

I fear that an economy would simply set new players apart from established ones and then break the best feature about PS, the fact that new players can stand toe to toe with veterans and have a fair chance of beating them.

However Planetside did have sub standard graphics at the time of release which did harm it; but it is an MMO, and graphics have to be sacrificed to make the thing work, which is something a lot of FPS players cant cope to lose.

Remember that Planetside was NOT as successful as it could have been, almost immediately after beta there were not enough players to fill up the available continents, so we saw the lattice confine players to a handful of continents at a time and pop caps reduced to spread out the player base; perhaps it would have been better if they had merged the East and West coast servers within a few months after release, as there were never enough players to fill it up.

The major problem with the game was lack of support; yes there was a poor expansion (6 months after launch; it was already in the works as release came about) and then BFRs fucked the whole thing over further. After that updates were few and far between, never changing the game enough to detract from the same base and tower fights again and again.

The game needs more depth for all players, and the best way is perhaps is to give the tools to add that depth to the players; get them to create their own bases, develop their own weapons and vehicles and stamp their mark on the world.