PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - the ps1 petition on GM's
View Single Post
Old 2014-11-07, 04:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
KingFeraligatr
Private

Re: the ps1 petition on GM's

Since I doubt that this petition will be anything but a waste of time, I have some ideas about handling PS1's current situation that I think are better. My first idea is getting a community effort to pool funding to purchase the source code/assets and potentially the server from SOE. After that, we could talk about managing and developing the game from there. SOE will likely not listen to us without us flashing money at their faces and I highly they would just give the source for PS1 away for free (even though they are completely apathetic to it an don't support it), so that's why I think we would need to do group funding. Some problems I see with this idea is getting enough funding for this plan (we would likely need over a thousand USD minimum), SOE still not listening to us, and so on.

Another idea I have is having a community project to develop a game that is similar to PS1 (but not too similar to avoid SOE's lawyers coming after us and to avoid copyright issues). This idea has the advantages being more independent, not having to deal with SOE, us getting to have more control over the game, etc. We would be able manage, develop, balance, etc. in our own way with more freedom. This idea has the drawbacks of getting enough people to contribute to the project with the right skills to continue making the game, potential run ins with SOE, trolls sabotaging what we are working on, etc. I think this idea is better and more realistic than the funding goal and it might not cost us as much.

The last idea I have is negative one - starting a movement to just pull the plug on the game and kill it. I know this is the wimpy, easy way out; but the game is irrecoverably dead at the moment and is plagued by asshole hackers. However this would allow the game with the little dignity it has left at the moment and SOE would be the most on board with this idea. This idea has the obvious drawbacks of just giving up and getting rid of the game.

Of course these are just a few ideas and others can be considered, but these are probably some of our best options. Tell me how you feel about these ideas and which one(s) we could pursue.

Last edited by KingFeraligatr; 2014-11-07 at 04:45 AM.