View Single Post
Old 2013-02-14, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: Help me pick out MOBO and Ram

All of your links are broken.

There's no reason to spend more than $200 on the mobo and ram IMO. Unless you plan to SLI today, or want to do some crazy overclocking...I wouldn't spend more than $150 on a motherboard. Getting 8gb of ram shouldn't run over $40-50.

Go with a Z77 board that has as few extra thingies as you need. Do you need 8 SATA6 ports because you have that many SSDs? you'll have to pay up. Otherwise get the cheaper board.
I'm an Asus guy - mostly by luck because it was in my first system build and it was rock solid. I haven't' had problems with them. A "me" exists for every bigger brand. I'd go Asus, ASRock or Gigabyte, in general.

DDR3-1600 is officially supported by your CPU choice, I'd go with that. 8gb in 2x4gb sticks is sufficient and leaves you room to go to 16 later. Unless you plan to keep this thing a very long time 16gb will be plenty. Don't waste too much time on fancy heat spreaders or worrying about CAS latency. These intrigue me, because of the lower voltage and great timings (And Crucial[Micron], along with Samsung, is pretty much the only memory manufacturer that makes it's own memory chips - everyone else pretty just packages Samsung or Micron chips). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148656 I would have gone that route if not for a really good deal.

I'll direct you here for what I just recently got. Unfortunately the free RAM deal seems to be done with - that was the only reason I got 16gb.
You don't need to spend as much on a power supply as I did. Something under $100 will be just fine. In my case all of the reviews were raving about that particular model and it was on sale for one day so I went for it.

I'm just waiting on the mobo to get here to put it together. I have the Fractal Design R4 (is that your link?) I quite like it already.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2013-02-14 at 12:55 PM.