PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - I made a thing (Terran Propaganda Piece)
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-29, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
TheDrone
Sergeant

Re: I made a thing (Terran Propaganda Piece)

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Democracy in this form can be defined as a tyranny. The NC never tried to go through these methods (at least not to our knowledge, the backstory could do with a LOT of fleshing out, I'd buy multiple books) because they knew full well what would happen. A democratic vote to decide whether a small group should be allowed to live outside of Terran Republic law? How do you think that would go down in any political regime today? It wouldn't at all. Just look at almost any small group in history that wanted to become an independent country, they ALL had to fight for it. Most notable today is probably the Palestine-Israel conflict.

The NC knew full well they'd have to fight for their recognition, so they have. I love the TR, I can't possibly see them as anything other than an absolutist mechanical regime though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_absolutism

Morality and law is dictated by the people within a society, throughout history morals have changed constantly, what is right and wrong changes all the time, Shakespeare said along the lines of "There is no right or wrong, but thinking makes it so". The point being that rights and wrongs are dictated by the people living within each society and another society should not negatively judge others for their views or perspective as they are just that - views and perspective, just as their own. In a multiculturalist society you get multiculturalist morality. In a single society you get moral absolutism and tyranny.

Entertainingly Kant believed in moral absolutism AND hated the tyranny of the majority, but mainly only because utilitarianism is the majority's view. Democracy can in fact be viewed as a tyranny in and of itself, it is the tyranny of the majority, the majority exert their power over the minority purely because there is more of them. The right and wrong in that is easy to argue, what is inherently wrong with allowing the minority to have their views as well as the majority? It's an interesting topic.

I love being a cog in the TR oppressive war machine but I really wouldn't want to live in a world(universe) with just a single society and the absolute inability to separate from said society and create a new one with the minority's views and laws. It would be horrible. At least in the world today it's not particularly difficult any more to fuck off somewhere else where you don't have to live under government and laws you disagree with.
Actually today there are numerous peaceful independence groups all over the world, even in pretty strict regimes. There have been examples of such successfully implemented struggles for independence.

Although, I truly believe in the context of the TR, independence should NEVER be granted.
The gains can not possibly outweigh the risks and losses.

The reason why I like the TR is because they're pretty close to a state ruled through a form of consequentialism. Which is IMHO the only truly just view on morality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consequentialism

The NC are much more morally absolutist as they do not seem to care about the consequences of their actions. They tout "freedom" constantly with no regard for the risks associated with the very real potential of abuse of these freedoms (ironically resulting in a decrease of freedom across the board).
Rules and views on right or wrong serve a greater purpose and should not be a purpose themselves.

And that's why the TR can be flexible in its morality as they look at the long term and the bigger picture. Dissent might inevitably lead to the destruction of the species, and this it is not tolerated.

BTW, you have a pretty bleak view on life under the TR. There are very few details, but judging from the few we have I'd judge life to be fairly good. You have to remember that they were democratically re-elected time and time again. So I don't think they're all that culturally oppressive.