PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside 2 Needs Prone
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-01, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #171
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
You're not reading hard enough. The pros and cons have beaten mercilessly for hours now. Christ.
The pros and cons for whom? This is why I separated the gameplay and the individual. I've seen plenty of arguing about it being beneficial for the individual and detrimental to the gameplay, but nothing about how it's beneficial to the game.

For an individual, the benefits of making yourself a smaller target or a less visible target are obvious, as is the disadvantage of less mobility, but I'd probably consider all three to be a detriment to gameplay as a whole (at least to the extent that prone does them).

Compare it to crouch...Crouch is a far softer mechanic. The movement speed decrease is less, they're still a visible target, there's still a significant center mass and it's more dynamic - crouching is far less of an investment because you can immediately get out of it, there's a constant weighing-up of whether you want to be standing or crouching in the moment. Prone meanwhile is more of a "now I'm down here" sort of thing; there's far more vulnerability between the states of standing and prone...It's more binary.

Also consider the landscape of PS. Do you want everyone being able to decrease their visibility to the extent that prone does while the maps are so much bigger in scale? Would it make for better battles outside if everyone could be hugging the ground? Would the battles be better anywhere if everyone was capable of being a less mobile, less visible, smaller target? Would it improve the flow of the game?

I can't say I've really seen that spoken about, beyond people saying it'd slow down the game (again, nothing about how it'd benefit gameplay).

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-06-01 at 09:01 PM.