PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - My Sniper/AWP Thread =D
View Single Post
Old 2003-01-19, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I do wonder how effective a .50 caliber depleted uranium round would do against a tank.
Given that the M1 Abrams has depleted uranium inserts along with high grade steel for armor. You'd mess up the paint job, but that's about it.

... and can SOMETIMES disable a tank...
I've been reading "if a tank gets shot in the armor dead on it'll go right through", so let's not second guess ourselves here. The .50 cal machine gun isn't doing jack to a tank. Technically speaking, a big metal pole could also take out a tank if you stuck it in the right place, but that's not something that you're going to see in a combat situation, and neither is shooting a tank in the "right place" with a machine gun.

Warborn is right (mostly) about the M1...
I was reading a lot of conflicting stuff. Some guys said it was a 150mm cannon, others a 120mm. The 150mm seemed reasonable though, so I didn't bother changing it, because I don't drive the tank, so I know as much as these sites tell me.

PS, a 0.50 cal couldn't even do squat to a WWII-era MBT.
Even anti-tank shells had a tendency to be deflected or break up on the armor of WW2 MBTs. A solid slug would just plink and leave a nice lead pancake on the ground for passing soldiers to remark at.