PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Possible upcoming changes to Spawn Rules
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-11, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
phungus
Master Sergeant

Re: Possible upcoming changes to Spawn Rules

Originally Posted by wasdie View Post
Spawn limitations = logistics which provide for battle flow. If you can teleport across to each base you own you have absolutely NO flow of battle.

Zergs form because the defenders do not counter. Camping happens because the defenders get radically outnumbered because it's too easy for them to just /suicide or redeploy to another fight where they have the numbers advantage.

Forcing people to fight down the lanes instead of hopping along the front will reintroduce real battle flow into this game.

Last night we pushed back and forth from Allatum to Dhaka against a force of VS players. It was a decent fight with a slight NC pop advantage so we were able to slowly push back on the VS until we hit Indar Comm array. We were winning the fight until a large VS outfit dropped 50+ from a Squad Deploy thus shifting the numbers from about a 20% pop advantage (on a < 48 pop situation) in favor of the NC to a 3:1 in favor of the VS.

They kicked us out and started pushing on West Highlands Checkpoint only to not be able to outzerg us. 10 minutes later they teleported away and we easily pushed all the way to Dahaka.

That's not battle flow. A group of at least 50 were able to teleport in, tip numbers their way, and the second they had to start fighting they teleported out.

We need restrictions on where you can spawn and how often. Right now potentially great fights up and down the lattice lanes are ended by the defenders being able to scatter the second the battle starts tipping in favor of the attacker. The lattice lanes do not fufill their purpose if sustained battles do not happen along them.

Right now they turn into the attackers greatly outnumbering the defenders because the spawn mechanics do not conform to the idea of the lattice. Instead they counteract the mechanics of the lattice in a major way causing any battle flow improvements originally intended with the lattice and work against the flow of this game.

It's a major design flaw right now that was a culmination of design decisions made to more quickly get people to the rather thin front line the hex system caused.
I hear you, and agree in part. There is a need to limit and impede massed movement around the map. However forcing a player to spawn hop across a map to deal with a squad at an important base is just frustrating. I spend alot of time on dead continents (usually trying to accumulate air resources), so if I see 1-12 guys attacking an amp station on Amerish I should be able to go there. It wol't just be better for me, but it'll be more enjoyable for the attackers since there will actually be people there to fight, and people play this game to shoot people in the face, not to spawn and ghost cap.

There needs to be limitations and logistical considerations on battle flow in terms of how spawning works. There are more limitations that are needed, for instance something I think is desperatly needed is a timer/energy pool on Sunderers so you can't just instantly spawn in 100 people to an area. But these restrictions shouldn't stop small engagements from happening on dead continents and they shouldn't force a player to spend 2 minutes or more spawn hopping across a dead map.