PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - k/d and class
Thread: k/d and class
View Single Post
Old 2013-11-04, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Wahooo
Captain

Re: k/d and class

K/D is a weird little monster.
Immediately people love to throw back "K/D doesn't matter in this game." Which is both very true and also the biggest fallacy. Depending on your role, K/D either has no meaning at all, OR has everything to do with how well you are doing your job.

If you have the K/D you do, and are not a squad leader placing beacons, getting a birds eye view for others, recon running from point to point but just not killing much, but staying very active. There is a good chance you are doing it wrong. The LA and Heavy, MAX and to a large extent Infil are all about killing. In a way, especially the LA.

Medics? Staying alive is important. So for a Medic K/D isn't really the right metric, but you do want to minimize your death toll. Engineer? It depends on what you are doing. Harasser Driver or Sundy Driver or dedicated MAX guy? You may have no K/D at all but your impact can be huge on the battle. But Engie can switch gears and lay mines and set up a turret, but even those things can be a deterrent as much as anything so the job you are doing is not reflected on the K/D.

In general, I wouldn't worry too much, but that is much easier said than done. I got on for the first time in over a month last night and it took me a bit to realize I simply do not belong in certain fights (well a lot of them actually). My PC is below spec and in any type of decent sized fight i'm at 15 fps. That means I die without getting kills. I tried really hard for a long time to play that way. My K/D has been climbing back up slowly... but getting slower as I log on and play less.
The thing is if you find something you ARE good at, try to do it without dying. Once you are able to go for a while without dying, make sure you are being as useful as possible for as much time as possible. The next thing you will notice, even when playing Medic/Engie good chance your K/D will start to improve.

I'd say maybe back away from Heavy and LA. Look a bit more at Maxes, and if playing infil REALLY be picky about your targets and see if you can't make the people you kill say 'WTF was that?'