PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Balancing Aircraft/AA with Altitude
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-05, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Balancing Aircraft/AA with Altitude

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
For Malorn, I like the concept, but as I was reading it, I couldn't figure out if you were describing PS1, or what you'd like to see in PS2.
I posted in the PS2 forum for a reason. Its PS2 but since we have very little information about air combat and AA in PS2 it is in the context of PS1, but assuming different AA types and higher flight ceiling.

Flak is a good exmaple of why I think altitude balancing is important. Not all AA is equal but you can have some basic characteristics like making some weapons effective against long-range targets and other effective against short-range.

Also high altitude should offer some reduced damage because you have no cover or other safety mechanism. Height/distnace *is* your defense, so I think having that a meaningful defense is important. As you said earlier in the thread it isn't fun to die to something that you can't shoot back to. That is true for both infantry and aircraft. Aircraft at the flight ceiling can't relaly shoot back on a swarm of infantry below firing up a locust swarm of strikers at them or flak barrages.

Generally in PS, the higher you go up the more vulnerable you become to AA. In some cases distnace will help you but a good flak gunner can lead appropriately and still land most of his shots. Sparrows will find their mark most easily, and starfires are still very effective. I think distance and height should matter and it should be reflected in AA effectiveness. Make AA effective at ranges where the aircraft can also be effective. Lib and gal are the exceptions as noted above, but for good reasons.