PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside Cheaters
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-01, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
pscheaters
Private

Re: Planetside Cheaters

Yes I have seriously considered accidentally naming someone who is genuinely good as a cheater. I think the guys that have been listed as suspected but not confirmed falls into the incredibly awesome category.

But if they are genuine, I do not think the same awesome people mind having their awesomeness investigated and observed. I do feel suspicious about certain players but when I do not find any evidence of blatant cheating, then I have deep down respect for how good they are in this game.

If a genuine mistake has been made, then I will correct the listing.

There are players who are simply genuinely good. Youtubes on some of the Starcraft 2 pro-gamers who play games as a form of "sport" will quickly show you how good and fast they are.

The other motivation is to give aggrieved members of the player community a vent for their concerns. Right now, I see the reports coming in via the /c chat. The in-game /appeal system is probably overloaded right now and work on a repeat offender and majority vote basis i.e. xyz is getting appealed too often, so let's have a look at him.

Cheat-aggrieved members of the player community want to know that their grievances are heard and investigated. This is designed to give them that. A simple thank you and yes we are looking into your complaint right now goes a long way.

Well, players who use cheats also need to consider the fact that their "playstyle" drives genuine players away from the game. So please consider who is causing who grief.

For myself, it is also a social experiment designed to allow other players who have used cheats a chance to redeem themselves. I understand certain people are compelled towards using cheats because they are simply fighting fire with fire. I live in a country where the system of law is designed to rehabilitate and reform instead of imprison minor offenders and place them on the wrong side of the fence for life, a system I fully believe in because none of us are perfect really.

I also work in information security. Unfortunately, I also believe that "it takes a thief to catch a thief". Players who have used cheats understand very well what the cheats are capable of and how to distinguish genuine gaming awesomeness from cheat-assisted performance.

And yes, I have had some past experience as a event-organising GM also ... but with what I know these days in terms of information security, I find it hard to believe that PlanetSide developers do not already know who the cheaters are.

What I am doing now through quiet observation is so much less efficient than the available tools and techniques these days

But please feel free to flame all you want. I am also a shameless flame-absorbing troll that is actually enjoying this a lot right now, including reading all the flames. More!!! More!!! Hahaha

Last edited by pscheaters; 2012-01-01 at 07:56 AM.