PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - PlanetSide Next Spring 2011?
View Single Post
Old 2010-12-28, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info
Re: PlanetSide Next Spring 2011?

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
We're also overlooking a major fact, here. This is SOE we're talking about. Remember them? Rather, remember their staggering lack of publicity for the development of the game? And the lack of publicity surrounding the launch and continual operation of the game? It doesn't surprise me one bit that there's very little news here - and in all honesty, that doesn't make me very happy and it doesn't give me great vibes regarding the success of the game. I firmly believe that the lack of marketing for Planetside is what kept the game from being a huge game. I *STILL* talk to hardcore FPS gamers who are in my age-range that never even heard of the game.
That reminds me that PS was more of an experiment than anything else. MMOFPS is still a very unusual genre and so the market size for it is unknown. There also isn't any competition outside of Planetside for Planetside Next so a large marketing campaign wouldn't make that much sense right now as once they start advertising they can't stop until release. The gist is that it's too early to make a decision as we just don't have enough information. It's kinda like when the 3 deliverer variants first had screens posted, there was a big fuss about this and that but we didn't know how they actually worked until we got our hands on them in the beta server. So let's save our energy to rant about things once we have numbers.