PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-17, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #220
Mackenz
Private

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Requires more resources? Why are you trying to make an overpowered BFR? I thought it was clear that if you have to make longer timers or make it cost more resources then the it's gonna be overpowered as a stock vehicle. Any form of a mech needs to be balanced as a normal vehicle that a player can be expected to use just like a lightning or a tank. Placing artifical restrictions on it to justify an overpowered vehicle is exactly what the Planetside 1 developers did and failed at.
Wow, hyperbole much? I was thinking a similar amount of resources to a an MBT, or lightning. If those take 0 resources then a SMAX should be the same at that.

Remember - you are the one proposing a mech that is more powerful than a MAX. I am just drawing equivalents with an upgraded MAX.

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
You can have a mech and a MAX in the game at the same time. No one is saying a MAX can't go outside with the mechs and lightnings and tanks. In fact they're not arguing that at all. We're simply saying that a mech can't go inside or where infantry is. They can't for instance sit on the huge base walls and shoot out among other places. Because we want a vehicle. Not a soldier's armor. If that point isn't clear by now I'm not sure how to be more direct.
Actually, you made the comment about "why would you use a MAX outdoors if you can pull a lightning or MBT".

The answer to why MAXes might be pulled over lightning/MBTs could be (and thanks for some of the suggestion in a previous post):
  • They can aim down into canyons;
  • They can get to terrain tracked vehicles cannot;
  • They can move rapidly outdoors via overdrive;
  • They can be transported by air;
  • They *may* (and I have no idea about this) take less resources.

That's off the top of my head. Of course, some of those you will point out can be performed by a mech. Which gets back to duplication of roles again and why I suggested an upgraded MAX.