PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Can o' worms: Soul
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-09, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Re: Can o' worms: Soul

Originally Posted by Saifoda View Post
First I'll start with the end statement -- who ever said that we never before existed but somehow will exist afterwards? Well, now that I think of it, probably a lot of people, but that there is the real fallacy.

As for the bolded part, let me show you a few things:

The pancreas, having been discovered by the ancient greeks, had its purpose only recently discovered.

Check out The Quantum Activist -- it proposes many questions which most of us have probably never even thought of. On that note, you might find it interesting to know that most theoretical physicists DO believe in larger intelligence and/or souls.

Speaking of theoretical physicists, and of what we do or do not know, check out Dr. Michio Kaku's work. His goal in life since his college years has been to finish Einstein's "Theory of Everything," something that still eludes him and his colleagues to this day. There is currently no universal theory. Quantum Physics and Relativity, both essentially proven to be true, have fundamental differences which make both of them simultaneously correct and incorrect (kind of like that dude's cat; pun intended).

You're right about the purpose fallacy imo; but that's also not to say that nothing has a purpose and that purpose is simply made up, but that purpose is not necessarily/scientifically requisite; we just don't know. Furthermore one can ask the question "do souls have/have to have a purpose?" or even "what is the purpose of souls?" Neither of these will be answered in our lifetimes is my guess.
It's a shame you put all that effort in, because I think you misunderstood me. I meant what is there that we don't even know... about the purpose of the universe? I'm aware that there is more we don't know about the natural sciences than what we do. I was talking more about fuzzy questions about meaning and purpose, and I'm pretty sure the answer we've come to is "There isn't; just don't be a dick."