PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Re: Planetside 2 Store - 10 minutes of required viewing for SOE
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-16, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Planetside 2 Store - 10 minutes of required viewing for SOE

Good video.

I think it actually has good value for us as well as SOE. Players around here are used to the subscription model and many of us have fears over microtransactions, mainly due to the fear of being scammed into paying more money than we think we should be paying. We're all certainly willing to pay for stuff, but we're also used to knowing the costs up-front as opposed to having the hidden cost. Of course the real 'hidden cost' is when power is put into the mix, because then you have to pay to compete and that changes everything.

The video makes good points about why free-to-play is good and how more players helps the health of the game. I'm in complete agreement there as I've said in other posts.

Something the game didn't mention is that the younger players that don't have cash wont' always be that way. Sometimes college players get jobs (which affects play time, thus helping reinforce the value of paying money for convenience), and college players eventually graduate and start earning a lot more money with which they can feel free to blow on your game. I was in college during PS1 and was a bit tight on cash, while now it is a much different story. Lifestyles and economic situations will change with players.

Smed seems to be aware of this already though, and he has indicated several times, including an interview here with PSU that they will not be selling power and discussed the the 'free to play elements'. The video does a good job of describing the real values.

Good point hitting home about convenience though. Cert training speed, experience accrual rate, and services like custom outfit decals are all great targets for microtransactions. You don't require any of those to be effective in the game and have balance.

Of course I already said most of this in the Business Model thread

Last edited by Malorn; 2011-07-16 at 08:44 AM.