PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - PSForever.net and PS1 Packet Capture
View Single Post
Old 2015-10-05, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Chord
Private

Re: PSForever.net and PS1 Packet Capture

Originally Posted by RealGaretJax View Post
Chord, thanks for your reply, I am a developer of 25 years (so old) so understand totally, but you still need to be aware of what's going on.

Just on a side note, have you ever considered pivoting this project into something like a ARMA mod instead.

The code required for a multi-player server is huge, not to mention integration of graphics engines, latency code, back-end management systems, etc, etc.

Using something like ARMA (although less players), could provide a firm framework to then build the PSEMU layer on top of give you a sandbox to play in now, so game mechanics and systems can be worked on, rather than base layers of game functionality.

Just my $0.02 worth
In terms of cheat protection, from what I know, the ARMA engine is nearly as broken as PS1 and I don't have any personal feelings for it. I'm trying to go for the more detailed approach and that means solving a lot of hard problems. I don't have a good grasp on how game servers really tick, so I want to figure it out by knowing one inside and out. My primary inspirations are TrinityCore, EVEmu, and the ShadowBane Emulator.