PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Help a Brit build his PC!
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-12, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Help a Brit build his PC!

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
I don't claim to be knowledgeable about the best UK retailers, OCUK just came up as one of the top Google results, and I've seen it mentioned here before. And the CPU is out of stock at that site.

Also, since he is overclocking his rig, and wants to get the most out of it, I'm going to assume that he isn't going to overclock just the CPU. I would recommend more than 580W PSU for that - if you hit your PSU's limit, the best case scenario is instability; the worst case is that the PSU dies, and takes a few other components along for the ride. This is one situation where overkill is a good thing.

Other than that, I don't see too much difference in what you recommended. And I will be paying attention to the partpicker site in the future.
I know, I wasn't trying to slight you, I was just saying it's a bad site. Also, it wasn't out of stock when I linked it, albeit there weren't many left.

As for the OC, the be quiet! PSU calculator on their site puts his rig at 68% load at stock for the PSU I recommended. I figured 12-22% headroom for a PSU of that calibre would be sufficient, but admittedly I'm not partilcularly knowledgeable when it comes to overclocking.

Edit: And obviously he'd probably want a higher-powered PSU for SLI, but considering how long an OC'd 670 would last him, by the time he felt he needed the additional horsepower, the 700/800 cards would probably be out, being even more powerful and even more efficient, making 670 SLI look like a complete power hog by comparison...Not to mention the temperatures (can you tell I'm not a fan of CFX/SLI?)

Oh I forgot to say, I was mainly just trying to find better prices for what you'd posted, but apart from the things I changed I would recommend the same things, except for the case (personal taste) and possibly the motherboard.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-06-12 at 07:17 PM.