PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - What a travisty
Thread: What a travisty
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-09, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #185
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Re: What a travisty

Originally Posted by ziegler View Post
I am thinking you didnt actually read the link you gave on polygamy. It seems to actually support it or shows that the negative parts of it comes from religious beliefs practiced in the family and not the actual polygamy itself.

The other link goes to poke holes in the way the studies were conducted, but it doesnt actually provide any actual study that disproves those findings either. They just say....this isnt done correctly so that invalidates the findings. That isnt the same thing as doing your own study and it's findings show different results. NAMBLA is still out there and doing fine.

Going so far as to say...well, pedophilia is liking prepubescent children, therefore that isnt the same as child molestation of teenagers, and that invalidates the results. Splitting fine hairs it is.

Either way, I am not taking the stance that all homosexuals are molesters or deviants or vice versa. I'm not gay...but I am deviant.

But that still doesnt invalidate my stance of....if 3 adults enter into a marriage, it is not the governments place to tell those 3 consenting adults that they cant enter into a marriage. I also didnt see anything in that polygamy paper about swinging or the polygamous relationships that exist through that lifestyle, they only attacked the religious ones and the problems come from the religious teachings/beliefs, not the polygamy itself.

Once we get through with tickling this one...we can start on incest.
First off, I'm not sure what you're looking for in those studies. I don't think you really understand how science works. You see, it's not like religion. It doesn't deal with absolutes. What science does is collect evidence and then make assumptions based on that evidence. We have a lot of evidence that suggests gravity exists, so we assume it will continue to do so unless there is evidence to suggest that it might not.

Also, proper science is always conducted with a full attention to honesty. If a study has potential flaws, those flaws are mentioned; not doing so is intellectually dishonest and bad science. So you see, the more honest a study is in its findings and methods, the more you can trust the results.

Also, if you read through the entire study (about the myth of homosexuality being linked to pedophilia) you will find that despite some of the flaws located in the study, the preponderance of evidence on display suggests no link. Be wary of your confirmation bias. If you don't know what that is, wikipedia it.

On to your comments about polygamy.

You're still not getting what I'm saying. I'll spell it out slowly, in big words, so that it's as clear as I can make it in the English language. Propping up polygamy as a counter to homosexual marriage is a fallacy, because the implied moral flaws with polygamy don't exist in monogamous homosexual relationships. There is no common link, other than the fact that sex and marriage is involved. Apples and oranges are also both fruits, but you cannot say you don't like apples because you bit into an orange once and didn't like the taste of citrus. They are different things and bringing up polygamy is a smokescreen that betrays how little actual solid evidence you have on hand to suggest that gay marriage is bad; we would have heard of it by now.

If you want to make a case for polygamy, go for it. I'm dead serious. I'll post in that thread. You're right; there is evidence to suggest that certain polygamist relationships can work. The legality of such a thing is certainly in question, and I don't feel that the evidence is, as I said, a slam-dunk. But do not bring it up as a counter to gay marriage because they are not even close to the same thing.