PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Question on Serial ATA
View Single Post
Old 2004-03-27, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ait'al
Contributor
General

IF you bought the retail version of the P4C800-E you should have SATA power cables and conector cables. But you can spend 20 bucks and get a quickconnect SATA cable from Westerndigital that is both the power and the signal cable if you want. Anyway connect the signal connector to the regular SATA one on the board. Theyre the two SATA higher up on the board if your using a tower and its in the case(The board has two SATA regular connections and two SATA Raid connectors for using SATA in a raid). When you get the raid the two SATA connectors on the board closer to the power led connector and etc and the onboard firewire connector are the Raid SATA connectors. It should say SATA Raid 1 and SATA Raid 2 under the SATA Raid connectors on the board and SATA 1 and SATA 2 next to the regular SATA ones.

The Raid cables with the retail P4C800-E are the two bags of thin flat red cables and red caps. The power ones are the ones in the bags with a molex connector and two small flat black connectors laying against each other. There are two in each bag and two bags of them. They will, as i said, have two black connectors laying opposite directions against one another and when you find the end that is the connector it will look like a long usb connection. The Sata power cords that come with the board just connect to the SATA power and then to a regular molex connector from the power supply. There are two SATA side connecters per Molex so you only need one for the raid later.

You can combine different types of harddrives on this board but you have to read the manual for the exact combos you can use. Though its pretty much any of them you want, besides combining none raid and raid in one drive. Though You use the regular IDE connectors to make an IDE raid i think with the IDE raid connector. Youd have to read how to do it in the manual.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-03-27 at 11:46 AM.