PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Upcomming Surge Changes!
View Single Post
Old 2004-03-13, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Marsman
Major

First of all - lets keep the name calling and flames out of this - it serves no purpose.

Second to those who are saying, just fix the netcode. Understand that they have been trying to do just that, but we're not dealing with the average FPS game here. You don't have to worry about 8 or 16 objects, the netcode has to deal with 600 objects and all of them with varies states of connectivity and hardware. Quite frankly it's a bloody miracle the game runs at all with these kinds of numbers. There are physical limitations of the code - there is a top end of "trackability" and after numerous attempts by the programmers to find an effective fix, I believe the decission was made to do "something do-able" at least for now - I'm sure the programmers are CONTINUIOUSLY looking to improve the upper end and make it work better but you have to realize there are LIMITS to what can be done. You can't compare this to other FPS games as there ARE NO OTHER FPS GAMES on this scale! I'm a little ticked off at the OF posts by users who call the programmers lazy or too un-caring to fix it the way they "think" it can be fixed.

I'm sure the no-jump was considered but there are other problems to this besides jumping and I'm not convinced that would effect a complete solution. Apparently neither are the devs. I realize this invalidates certain tactics - so have other changes and most times players are clever enough to develop alternate ways to play. I know those NC who use the JH and surge up to their enemies are distressed. I suggest you develop a way to draw the enemy in to you or use a weapon better suited to range until it's time to pull the trusty JH. It doesn't have to be all one way. Rather than whining for another balance change, develop a tactic that allows you to use the weapon as is.

The OF is split about 50-50 on this as far as posts go - however, there are far less intelligent arguments on the negative side in total. Some folks have made construtive and well thought out negative comments - I applaud them - That's what community involvement is all about. To those who are "quitting this f*%#ing game" and "this is the stupidest idea ever" and "you suck devs" can kindly exit stage left (and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out). We dont need you if thats the only way you have to offer your opinion. You are most likely the players who have exploited this at every oppertunity and have forced this change to begin with.

So positive or negative, lets keep it civil and let's be contructive in what we have to say. I assure you one well thought out thread will carry FAR more weight in the eyes of the dev team than 50 flames with nothing but insults and threats to cancel.