PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-16, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #95
Mackenz
Private

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
They are graphical assets. The only 'role' is what is given to them, which can be anything at all. Cool is the only reason to have any graphics whatsoever. What does the graphical representation of treads or tires or infantry legs bring to the game? Gameplay would be just as functional with featureless bounding boxes of various sizes fighting.

Cool is the only reason to have them(and "I don't think they are cool" the only valid argument against them), because what something looks like has absolutely zero impact on how it functions in a game, and is completely arbitrary.

*Note: I don't actually want a super vehicle though. I just have zero issue with the concept of mechs and think it fits well in futuristic settings.

BFRs didn't ruin PS1. That little database file that listed BFRs OP stats did it. Shall we rage against database files? Its just as ridiculous of an argument.
Just graphical assets? That's all you think it takes? Surely you jest.

BFRs ruined PS1 for me. It might of not for you but it did for me - you cannot argue against that because it is fact for me. Reasons:
  1. BFRs were poorly thought out and implemented. They didn't fit any story that I could ever relate to;
  2. In putting something in like that while the community was shouting about issues that were far more important told me that SOE had no clue. Things like say a better command leadership structure or mission system that is in PS2.
It told me SOE wasn't listening and didn't give a flying fig what the community was trying to tell it. So it wasted a bunch of dev time on something that was worse than useless while easier and much more useful stuff went begging. Soul crushing.

And let's review the 'They are graphical assets' comment. Higby said in one of the interviews that it would take 6 months to put in vehicle animations. And that is something a far greater number of folks actually want!

I don't want any BFR concept (or mech - but note this thread's heading) before the devs address holes in PS2 that will be revealed in beta/release. This will be identified by both devs and the community.

And dammit, this whole 'cool' is a sufficient reason, or 'it is science fiction' tranche of reasoning? What a crock. Let's use Arthur C Clarke's definition of magic and technology. Since it is 'cool', or it is 'science fiction', how about a small handle that when you click a button turns into a LIGHT SWORD! Or how about this resource called 'mana' that allows you to shoot FIREBALLS and LIGHTNING from your hands!

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.

I really hope the beta is soon so we can start focusing on the stuff that will make the game enjoyable and long lived, versus just jamming in stuff because it is 'cool' or 'science fiction' without really making a case for what role it supposed to play in the game. And no, I have read every post in the thread and no definitive role has been described. Lots of maybes and could be, but so far BFRs/mechs as described is a weapon looking for a definitive purpose (other than 'cool').