PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-16, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #103
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

Originally Posted by roguy View Post
The fact of the matter is that mechs are making a comeback this year with Mechwarrior, Hawken, Mass effect 3 and even Halo 4. In the case of Bioware and Bungie, you can be sure they "focus-grouped" the crap out of their games and they know that's what players today want.
Those are 'Mech-combat games, at least in the case of the MechWarrior/BattleTech line and Hawken. Those games cater to and centre around the 'Mech from a simulator standpoint. In those universes, NOTHING can touch a 'Mech except another 'Mech. I could argue that Mass Effect had a decent 'Mech element as well, but I'm talking strictly about Hawken and the MW IPs. Planetside is not a 'Mech-combat simulator. It is a first-person shooter. It has a fair amount of vehicles. 'Mechs should not be one of them.

You and your small vocal minority among a small playerbase for an underrated niche shooter of 10yrs past are exactly that: a small but vocal minority. Do not mistake the fifty-fifty split on PSU as having spoken for every single Planetside player that ever was - this is a very small community. It is not an accurate judge of metrics, just an accurate cross-section of varying beliefs. A huge portion of people who ragequit Planetside specifically because of BFRs aren't on PSU, nor are the rest of that small vocal minority who liked the BFR.

As for Core Combat and urban warfare, there's no fucking way you could EVER convince me, not even when Core Combat was released on day one, that it was urban warfare. It wasn't even CQB - base fights were more CQB than the Crap Caverns. Sure, SOE tried to bill Core Combat as urban warfare or urban combat or whatever the shit their catchy title was supposed to be. Clearly they failed.

As I said - I liked the BFRs. I was all fired up, as a BattleTech fanboi, to get in the cockpit and roll with a lance of BFRs. To this day I still wish they'd been done right. But the unarguable fact of the matter is, BFRs left a bad taste in the collective mouths of a significant portion of Planetside's population. It had such a negative impact that Smedley himself said over a year ago, before anyone asked, "No BFRs will not be in the game". Without being asked, unprompted, unsolicited, unscripted.

Had they been implemented properly, and not had such a negative impact on the playerbase as a whole? Sure, put them in. But because the connotation is so negative, it would be a bad move.