PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - In-Game News Correspondents: What do you think?
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-29, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: In-Game News Correspondents: What do you think?

Originally Posted by TheDrone View Post
If PlanetSide 2 gets big you'll have more than enough sites willing to do stuff like this.

It could in fact be quite an important tool to "frame" events and make them feel even more important.

After all, in a never-ending game like PlanetSide things like "victory conditions" are decided upon the community and not necessarily a game-mechanic.
Right! But if they don't have the tools to do the job, they will be constantly dying while trying to do it as a normal player.

And I have to say, you know, a lot of players in a lot of games are constantly pursuing that super KDR and not much more...so you ask, why should they play Planetside where, while you can pursue KDR, there's a lot more focus on teamwork? Glory. For glory. While SOMETIMES in-game news might feature people with uber stats, on the whole they'll be following battles and touching on the teamwork aspects. KDR is vanity, so too is making the news, can't you imagine how people might flock to the game and embrace the teamwork/outfit thing in hopes of gloriously appearing on the next morning's PSU Newsreel? In other words, this would be a selling point for the game. All SOE has to do is enhance their relationships with community sites and give people the tools to do the job for free.

That said, I suppose lone wolves or non-outfit affiliated squads could be heroes too. 10 guys holding 50 off of a base long enough for reinforcements to arrive, that's the kind of thing that goes on the news too.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-03-29 at 10:58 AM.