PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Joining the PS2 Team
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-10-08, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Joining the PS2 Team

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
So questions, what are your thoughts on the current game flow and how to incorporate multiple conts?
Personal solution is 4 conts at launch each with 3 gates that can be taken if all adjacency is lost. I don't know if that's reasonable though.
Thanks Captain; don't stop wearing the helmet!

Speaking on opinion, have no idea how that might change after I arrive and not making any promises, but...

I am a huge fan of cross-continent warfare for a lot of reasons. It was by no means perfect in PS1, but it did do a great job of scaling with population and giving us something fresh and different, and giving a sense of achievement, or at the very least a glorious last stand. But PS1's system had downtime and boredom at the end of a conquest and at the beginning of a conquest. I would like to see the core concept of fighting your way across a network of continents remain, but streamline it more so the fighting is good through the end and from the very beginning.

What you describe with 4 continents & capturable warpgates is exactly what I have in mind when I think of a great way to make it seamless. There are a few posts I had made a while back about it here on PSU. Here's my first post in a thread on it, but there's a few more after it: http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ate#post735089

Those were raw early thoughts, but my thinking hasn't changed much. I like the idea of fully dynamic world where empires can choose what they want to be a "home continent" and move around and experience continents from different directions. That keeps the game fresh and different and shows off the persistent world. Its also gives some goals for outfits and empires, but the biggest benefit in my mind is that it scales better with population changes and keeps the game fresh. As long as the battle flows and doesn't have these dead times at the beginning and end of the continent I think would be the best way to handle multiple continents.

I think the most important thing though is to ensure there's always a good battle raging. All the cross continent stuff is cool and does great things but it can't come at the price of killing fights or causing dead time.